Books & More
Note: How to Use EBSCO A-to-Z
The LSC Library has a new resource for you to try – EBSCO Integrated Search. It allows you to search multiple sources at one time.
To learn more:
EBSCOhost Integrated Search Tutorial (7 minutes, requires Flash)
LSC Library on Facebook
- New research estimates there are at least 114 million English-language scholarly documents on the web, of which 24% are openly, freely accessible. For the other 76%, contact the Library!1 day ago
The Number of Scholarly Documents on the Public Web
The number of scholarly documents available on the web is estimated using capture/recapture methods by studying the coverage of two major academic search engines: Google Scholar and Microsoft Academic Search. Our estimates show that at least 114 million English-language scholarly documents are accessible on the web, of which Google Scholar has nearly 100 million. Of these, we estimate that at least 27 million (24%) are freely available since they do not require a subscription or payment of any kind.
- "Could you do your work without interlibrary loan? Does anyone ever talk about how awesome and how fundamentally important it is?" Librarian Barbara Fister considers Kindle Unlimited, compared with the awesomeness that is interlibrary loan.5 days ago
The Limits of "Unlimited"
Imagine a service that will let you get your hands on almost any book you want, however obscure or expensive, for a very low price. Imagine the opportunity to indulge your curiosity impulsively and read all you want to without going broke.
- LSC students, faculty and staff have full online access to the New Yorker at http://catalog.vsc.edu/CJDB/LSC/journal/15549, but non-subscribers have a brief opportunity to explore its archives. In this article, Slate.com recommends 30 of the New Yorker's best stories to enjoy before the paywall goes up.1 week ago
The New Yorker Stories You Should Read Before the Paywall Goes Up
Yesterday, The New Yorker made all of its magazine pieces since 2007 freely available online for three months. After that time, everything will go behind a metered paywall, along the lines of what the New York Times has in place. So what should you read during this three-month free-for-all? We canva…
- "Freedom & Unity: The Vermont Movie", a six-part film, airs this week (14-19 July) beginning Monday at 8:00pm on PBS Plus. The series includes films by 48 local film-makers on the history and culture of Vermont.2 weeks ago
The Vermont Movie Promo
Freedom & Unity: The Vermont Movie is the first-ever documentary series about Vermont. The six-part film is a collaboration of three dozen critically acclaim...
- Library users need Net Neutrality. Vermont State Librarian Marty Reid, testifying at a U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee field hearing in Burlington last week, explains what's at stake and why library users need to speak up for an open internet.3 weeks ago
Preserving an Open Internet: Rules to Promote Competition and Protect Main Street Consumers
U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary Preserving an Open Internet: Rules to Promote Competition and Protect Main Street Consumers July 1, 2014